Driving has a big effect on the environment but, of course we would all be lost without our cars, and not having one is not an option for most. So here are 9 tips to help save the environment when you’re driving:
- Don’t make trips just to fill up on petrol – If you need fuel, kill two birds with one stone and fuel up on your way home from work.
- Don’t sit there in gear – It may be tempting to stay in gear when stuck at traffic lights or sitting in traffic, so you can head off quicker, but really you should switch to neutral.
- Take it steady – Calm your driving down, speed up steadier and break softer, this will also decrease the chance of an accident.
- Electric Cars – Of course, it is silly to get a new vehicle if yours is still running well, but when you must get your next car make it a hybrid or electric vehicle. With all sales of new diesel and petrol vehicles being banned in 2040, you might as well get ahead of the crowds.
- Walk – Now the weather is getting nicer if your destination is in walking or biking distance, don’t drive! It wont just save you money but get you fit as well.
- Slow down – Driving slower can help lower your CO2 emissions, can also save you money as it will decrease your fuel consumption.
- Check your tyres – If your tyres are under-inflated then your car must work harder, so make sure that your tyres are blown up well.
- Service regularly – Without getting your vehicle serviced regularly then efficiency levels will drop. Plus, it can save you money, as you’re more likely to find a problem earlier.
- Keep off the pies – The heavier the vehicle the harder it must work, so get rid of the junk in your trunk.
Here at Athena we are all about saving the earth, we have a range of electric and hybrid vehicles for you to lease – just give us a call on 01952 273 273.